Saturday, May 17, 2008

Scarlet Assassin


What in the WORLD???!!! For the past week or 2, our house has been under attack by a kamakazi (sp?) cardinal. Aidan calls him our "crazy bird". This bird sits in the rafters on our front porch and attacks the same spot on the window every 10 seconds, beginning at about 7am and going until dark. It makes you feel kind of twitchy to hear a bird impaling himself all day long, and we were afraid that he was hurting himself. We have tried shooing him away, but he flies to the oak tree and bird-cusses us out, only to resume his pastime when we go back inside. He's obviously not hurting himself, but I'm sure his head meeting a plate glass window in mid-flight isn't helping his IQ...We wanted to make it clear that we loved him, just not his behavior... ;) So... last week, I taped paper over the whole window and that took care of it--until Will Scarlet started clinging to the screens of my bedroom window and squawking at us (Are you KIDDING me?). The recent storms here tore the paper off the window so yesterday I got back up on the ladder, took all the paper and tape off, and cleaned all the little beaky prints off. It looked beautiful and our assailant was nowhere in sight. YAY!!!! I was sure he had moved on.
7am this morning, Aaron and I hear the familiar "ATTACK! SMACK! REPEAT!". Our friend is back, so any advice any of you have would be welcome!
~Brooke, Aaron, and Aidan (who really do love birds)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love that bird! I mean, really, what in the world is wrong with him? Its like he wants to come inside and hang with you guys!