Monday, June 9, 2008

Big Boy/Happy Heart




Well, it's happened. Aidan is officially in his Big Boy Bed. We actually bought the headboard a few months ago when Pottery Barn Outlet had a 70% off furniture sale, but as of last night, we set it up, and Aidan slept in it for the first time in his own room. We had been waiting to move him to it because he sometimes still fights bedtime, and for safety, we didn't want him roaming around the house in the middle of the night if he woke up. This past week he'd been waking up around midnight asking for his "Big Bed", which was the bed in the guest room where we sleep when he's sick. We figured that a crib mattress wasn't made for a 42 lb. 2 year old, and he was probably waking up because he wasn't comfortable. So...last night was the trial run, and it went pretty well except for the first few minutes. Here's the dialogue that took place:

Aidan: (as he opens the door and walks to the stairs) I have a happy heart, Mommy!

Me: I'm glad you have a happy heart, but you're not in time-out. You need to stay in your bed and go night-night.

Aidan: Oh, OK!

Now it's naptime, and so far so good. I still have his crib up just in case! I'm giving up my control in baby steps!

Aidan Michael, its a bittersweet thing for me to see you all snuggled up in your Big Boy Bed with truck sheets. I love that you're so happy and sleeping well, but then I look at your crib and achingly realize that you won't be sleeping there anymore, the bed you've slept in since you were a tiny baby. I'm so proud of the big boy you are becoming, but looking at your baby bed, reminds me of how quickly two and a half years has gone by, and how I need to savor every minute. I love you, big boy, and I love being your Mommy. Don't grow up too fast!

Love,

Mommy :)

No comments: